More on Mass Transport



You've heard about Gary Busey and the cunt who fell between the train and the platform, now you get to hear about the two people I have seen pass out while riding the busses and trains around Warsaw.

The first time was several months ago while riding the bus. I was heading to one of my afternoon classes when we came up to one of the many stops along the route. I watched some guy wearing thick glasses stand up, start towards the steps off the bus and then slowly, like in a movie, crumple to the ground. Initially I though he was probably drunk, drunkenness is not uncommon on the busses here. Then, after he was down for a few seconds, I realized there was probably something wrong with him. His glasses were especially thick and his teeth and the general look on his face suggested he suffered from some sort of physical or mental disorder. Fortunately someone else on the bus tried to revive him while telling the bus driver to wait a few more minutes. The guy eventually came to and was helped off the bus by the good Samaritan to recline on the bus stop bench and perhaps wait for an ambulance.

The second guy I saw pass out was just last Friday. I was on the metro early in the morning this time heading to a different class. We approached my stop and above the sound of my head phones I heard a loud thud from behind me. I looked back to see some poor kid laid out cold on the train floor. I have no idea what happend but there were several people trying to revive him. As I exited the train I looked back and noticed that he was probably between 18 and maybe 22 and was still out.

Hopefully both guys are feeling okay now and thinking back on these events make me want to apply myself a bit more to pick up this language. If I need to help someone in the future, or if I myself need help, it would probably end better if I at least had some command of Polish. The picture above is one of the local bus stops in Piastów. Most of the windows are broken out and the metal is rusted but they do keep a regular schedule posted which is nice.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

0 comments:

Post a Comment