Ruben's Rants: Why the Polish Can't Queue


I hate to ruin two beautiful photographs of the California desert with a Ruben's Rants but I can't hold this one in any longer. It is a bit sad but some days I really understand the origin of Polish jokes. I realize that most people are iditos in this world but of all the things people can screw up how difficult is it to fucking queue? One would think that waiting in line would be pretty clear cut, but not in Poland (Note: I have heard that other countries have this problem as well - but I live here so...). Let me give you all two examples of what exactly I mean (both the Brits and Americans know how its done so this idea might sound strange to them)

Lets say I need a train ticket. Pretty simple to do actually: you wait in line until the counter is clear and then go up and buy a ticket. Simple even in a foreign language. But in Poland, where no one knows how to queue, it can be a bit more frustrating. It has happened to me more often then I care to remember that once I have purchashed my ticket the person behind me is so close that I can't even reach back to grab my wallet without elbowing him/her in the mouth. And they will continue to push forward even with my elbow in their faces. It is also common for people to begin ordering tickets as the ticket seller is counting out my change. Could every person behind me be about to miss their train?

Maybe, but lets pretend now that I receive a package in the mail and need to go to the post office to pick it up. Alas we find the problem there too; no one has any idea what a line is nor how to properly form one. Take today for example, I received a package from a friend in England and had to go pick it up. There was the typical crowd of people so I had to wait at the end of the 'line' for my turn. I was near the door so decided to wait a few steps back from the fellow in front of me so other people could at least enter the building. The next person, some old cow, came in and looked at the line, then looked at me, then stood right on the guys back pocket in front of me in line and blocking the door. The next person had to basically shove her out of the way to get in! When the line moved forward I pushed my way in front of her just to indicate I was next. I don't think she liked the idea that well because she then took out her news paper and began reading with most of the paper resting on my back/head. When we moved forward again I was in the corner of the room and decided to give myself some space so delayed a bit. This was unacceptable and she shoved me as she claimed the corner. Again she tried to read with the paper resting on my head but I knocked it off this time. Finally my turn came and the woman retrieved my package. Naturally as she tried to hand me the package the old cow was in the way and, rather then moving back, she pushed forward and began speaking to the woman at the desk about what she needed. I had to back up and walk around the cow to reach my package. I bumped her again with my shoulder and the corner of the box and she made some comment that I didn't understand. Now this was not an isolated event, it happens every time I go there. And every country has slow mail service so we know there is no need to rush while in a post office. So what the hell is the problem?


Some of my students try to explain that it is because of the Communists times. "There were no products in the shops so people had to push to ensure they got something" they say. Okay, then why is it just as often young people as old then? "Well," they say, "the old people teach them." Right...And the Communist times ended what, two years ago? "No, twenty years ago." I guess its much easier to blame the Communists then admit its a country full of idiots who can't even form a fucking line properly.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

0 comments:

Post a Comment