Ruben's Rants - Latest Polish Joke


"How do Poles change trains during rush hour?

Everyone on the platform pushes their way onto the train while those on the train wait for the platform to become clear before exiting."

Okay, that is not a very funny joke but neither is the true situation that it represents. Every day on the bus (or train or metro or tram) I have to force my way past people pushing to get onto the same bus I am leaving. For some reason very few here realize that if you let the people ON the bus get off FIRST, then there is often more room for those waiting. Strange concept but its nontheless true. I have spoken to some of my students about this and the ones who have lived abroad are suprised at their own countrymen's rudeness. One woman said that it was obvious which people were Polish at Victoria Station in London because while the Brits would queue very calmly and politely the Polish would force their way through the river of people exiting the trains. Wait, didn't we just talk about the connection between queuing and communisum?

On that note I must apologise for back to back Ruben's Rants; some people here were not to entertained by my usage of the Polish nation. I figure that I might as well get this off my chest now so as to limit future problems. Funny thing though, the locals will bitch about the very same things. I guess its "I can make fun of my people but outsiders can't" everywhere...

A photo of some the locals in Landers, California.

Friday, February 22, 2008

0 comments:

Post a Comment