Back to Basics


So we turn the corner from my poor vocabulary on to another important area of my life: video games! (I know Anonymous, I know, I am wasting my life away not to mention my entire education and the impressive amount of technical skills I have developed over the past 11 years. What can I say, I am just a worthless cunt.)

Anyway, video games ruled when I was ten and they rule now too. I own several consoles but only have my PS2 with me in Poland. Its chipped so I can play, er, my backups and not ruin my real games (of which I have many). I finished God of War a while back and was very impressed with this old fashioned button masher. It is a super game and if any of you are interested in some good ass kicking then pick this one up. The story is pretty solid too but it is really the gameplay that is the draw. I also have God of War 2, which is supposed to be as good as the first one, but I am going to take a break from this series and play some other games first.

Two of the games I am involved with at the moment include Resident Evil 4 and Black. RE4 is the latest (and greatest) game in a series of fantastic survival horror games (and a few terrible movies) of the same name. The gameplay is slow but quite tense and extremely dark. I have only played about four hours of the ten to twelve hour game and have read that after you finish the 'main' mission there is another twenty hours of gameplay that shadows the main plot but with two other characters. Excellent game if you like these methodical and creepy adventure games.

Black is something different. Its a First Person Shooter where you take the role of a special forces guy who is telling the story of trying to capture some terrorist. But the story is unimportant; the focus of this game is shooting and destroying everything. Buildings, cars, trucks, people, whatever, its all good. As the guys at IGN, my favorite video game site, say, "The essence of BLACK is destruction." The controls are excellent, the graphics and sound are great, and the range of weapons and level of difficulty are spot on. I am a bit stuck on the last level because I have a difficult time killing fifteen people shooting at me with assult shotguns but hey, I'll get it one of these times...

Sorry about the repost of this picture from Landers, California, I don't have any other pictures of video games. This picture will, however, take us back into our pre-Christmas focus on the California desert.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

2 comments:

  1. Bridget said...

    I gave Ben a Wii for father's day last year. The second game he bought was Resident Evil 4 and I think he finished it within a couple weeks. One night he was playing pretty late so I decided to go to bed without him and when I turned off the living room lights he freaked out and made me turn them back on. I guess RE is a pretty scary game.

    February 09, 2008  

  2. Ruben M Garnica said...

    RE4 was initally only for the Wii and was 'ported' to the PS2. I have heard that the Wii versionis much better. Aga will watch me play and we both become very engrossed in the creepy action!

    February 11, 2008  

Post a Comment