And finally, Biedronka


Biedronka is our local store. It is the size of a small Trader Joes (or Tesco Express in the UK) but with products of (much) lower quality. The staff are mostly bitter and unhelpful and no matter how close you come to giving exact change they always ask for one more grosz (Polish penny). There are usually two or three local vendors selling their produce outside along with what my girlfriend and I call "Biedronka Staff". These are a group of men, around 20 of them, who take turns simply hanging-out in front of Biedronka drinking beer. They don't seem to bother anyone but themselves and I have never seen them ask for money. They just stand out there and watch life pass by. One of them, the dirtest, recently got two puppies and reguardless if he is out there or not his two dogs are there just like the men, watching life go by. It was a bit strange at first but not only am I used to it now but I have seen it at many of the smaller stores around Warsaw. For one of my next posts I will try to get better pictures of the vendors as well as the Biedronka Staff.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

0 comments:

Post a Comment